The New Stewarts

Thursday, September 14, 2006

CHORES


Well, we all knew that eventually this topic would come up, and here it is. We discussed house work during our premarital counseling, but somehow that 30 minute session didn't change our habits or our pet peeves.
Like most people I know, Austin does not have the same idea of "clean" as I do. This difference of opinions leads to labeling - I think he is lazy. He thinks I am anal.
Let me give some examples:
When I wash clothes and fold them and put them on top of the dresser, it drives me crazy when they aren't put away three days later. Austin, however, isn't bothered by the few feet of clothes towering for all to see.
Or - when I can't walk around barefoot in the house without having crumbs and dog hair stuck all over my feet, I get out the vaccuum or the broom. Austin just wears shoes.
Now, I don't want to make him sound too bad. He really does more than you are probably thinking at this point. He does make the bed on a daily basis, and he takes the trash out when it gets too full, but he doesn't seem to understand my "white glove" cleaning techniques.
I think that this is the type of "marital problem" that is slowly resolved over time. Eventually he will pick up some of my habits and try out the SoftScrub with bleach, and I will relax a little when I realize the house still stands when the counters and toilet seats aren't sparkling. Right??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home